- The APBC
- Need Help?
- Pet Tips
- Members Area
Assessment for Adoption and Fostering Placements
As the leading pet behaviour experts in the field, APBC Members have been used by a number of agencies to assess animals and the homes of potential adoptive parents or foster carers. In response to demand, a standard protocol for use in this context has been developed and the APBC can now provide this service via a special network of participating Full Members.
The service is designed primarily for dogs but may also be used for other animals.
The assessment process involves:
- A visit to the home lasting approximately 1 & 1/2 hours
- A report sent to the agency requesting the assessment, to include:
- Owner experience and relationship with the animal(s)
- Exposure and behaviour in various social situations, training background, and health issues
- Practical considerations regarding home environment
- Temperament and behaviour with members of the household, visitors, general public, and children (0-5yrs, 5-10yrs, 10+years)
- A professional opinion on the risks these animals present to children, particularly those with social, emotional and behavioural difficulties.
- Advice regarding the introduction of children and animals
The cost for this service is £120 plus mileage at the discretion of the individual member providing the service in that area.
Please find the contact list for particpating members here.
You can download a referral form here.
APBC members can find further information here (if logged in).